Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Speed

10 oct 1997
I was in eleventh standard and just after 4 days was my 17th birthday. I was so excited about my birthday, already had made many plans to celebrate it out. It was time to get new clothes for b’day . Dad gave me 800 Rs. to buy new jeans. Bunking college, around mid afternoon I left for shopping along with my best friend Aditya. We were driving through the streets of Dharampeth (khare town). I was on my bajaj scooter and Aditya was driving bajaj sunny. We were busy chit chatting and driving parallel vehicles and thinking of which shop to visit to buy my jeans.
Khare town has many small streets and around twenties of small square, The square are so dangerous that you never know who’s coming from which direction and you should slow down your speed to avoid accident. I wasn’t much aware of these and neither Aditya was. Although we were not driving at fast pace. I was famous in college for driving my scooter at a very fast speed. My class girls already had named me as “SPEED” after the movie Speed of Sandra Bullock. Unaware of what would happen with me in next 7 hours of day, I was happily driving away towards the shopping center. I was to enter most terrifying 7 hours of my lifetime.
Driving away, I reached to one such tiny square. Aditya and me were driving parallel to each other. Suddenly a female came on hero puch bike was a blazing speed. She was driving that bike with a speed of minimum 70 km/hr. I wasn’t alert for this one when she banged on me with that high speed making 90 degree angle at the sight of impact. “BOOM” was the call and I had flown away miles in upward direction. My scooter tossed and ramped into side of road. While I was tossed I fell down and started to take control of the situation, only to see that my scooter and her bike were ramped up and she was fallen few steps down, on the side of road. When I clear my sight I could see her face smashed on a big stone lying there and I could see her in the pool of blood. I almost lost my senses there, but was frighten to see some folks running down towards the accident site. I, who had stood on my feet, realizing the fast approaching crowd, tried to play foul and started acting as if I am badly hurt on my back. If I had not done this, the angry crow would have beaten me up. People gathered and few initiated to take hold of girl. Some surrounded my and started asking questions’. The situation soon became critical and she was immediately take to a near by house for first aid. The people from that house gave her some water but she was no way near to gain senses. Aditya although was driving parallel with me was lucky to escape the accident. He was the only one who had seen the whole crash and knew my situation as well. People then gathered asked me to take her to some hospital immediately to save her life. Some of them dragged my scooter to the nearby “Nagrik Sahakari Hospital” I with Aditya reached the hospital and were taken straight away to floor no 4th of the hospital building. Soon the girls relatives were contacted and her uncle came down to meet me. Fortunately he was a nice person and without any further grudges asked me to pay for her medical treatment. It wasn’t my mistake altogether in the accident but I had to pay, just to save my life. I agreed, I already had shopping money. Taking a deep breath I just moved towards the window to see outside to sooth my eyes, but what I saw took the shit out of me. There were more than 100 people, all college lads, gathered down. I came to know that all those have came to see me. They were led by a young arrogant lad and he was the elder brother of the victim.
In flashes, the guy climbed up stairs fast and reached 4th floor. He recognized us, and advanced towards us. He was blind with anger and he started beating up us. We were two, me and Aditya and he was with four of his friends who had breached the hospital security upto 4th floor. He first targeted Aditya, slapped him right on face. Aditya trembled down on ground aleast a meter away. And then he looked at me. I could see fire in his eyes, he marched ahead, raised his hand to slap me, I blocked it. The intensity was so high that I almost dislocated my hand. His anger further raised because of my blocking move. He was then supposed to lay me down and beat me up. Suddenly hearing all these voices, hospital staff ran down to save us. There were 3 – 4 compounders who grabed these guys on doc’s instruction. The relative of the victim girl had told the hospital staff that I was the one who saved the life to that girl and brought her to hospital.
Soon the situation was brought under control and those guys were asked to get out of the hospital. I breathed a sigh of relief. Then came the hospital bill, it was 400 Rs. I paid it all and then with the help of girl’s relative, slowly we dared to go downstairs. Finally we stood face to face to the guy who beat us. He was polite till then and just asked me to pay for repairs of his sister’s bike. It was 150 Rs. I paid him as well. All from my birthday gift. I took my broken scooter and thanked to the girls relative, as without him, I was already dead. Before leaving that place, I was told by that relative some more detail about that girl. She had 11 stitches across her face and was out of danger. The girl already had ring ceremony and was supposed to get married in a month. I felt real bad after hearing this, but I couldn’t help and it wasn’t entirely my mistake although. It happened, it was an accident.
People say all things happen for a cause and we cannot control some situations. But what I think that a little carefulness while you drive can save you from the unnecessary tensions and trouble.
Drive Safe.

No comments: